ICANN the USA Authority for the control of US domains, have recently issued new details to help maintain the accuracy of their domain holders details and to ensure the best possible service for the registrants. In this regard MCL, as resellers and agents for American registrars, would like to clarify the position, with regard to the purchase, renewal and transfer policy we employ for this group of domains.
As providers of managed 'business only' services for all of our operations, our business model and position is slightly different from those organisations responsible for the bulk sales of domain names. Most of our business is based upon specialised business design, marketing and web hosting services for which domains form part of an overall package. The customer does not have to order online , make changes, either technical or otherwise, to their purchases as we handle all of this on their behalf. Although we employ automated systems to ensure all information is presented in a timely manner e.g the customer will receive renewal notifications at least 14 days in advance, we are still available to discuss by email or telephone any option or query that a customer may wish to clarify.
The following are the key points that customers may wish to note in regard to the registration of N. American based Domain names with MCL:
* There are a greater number of alternative domains provided by American registrars than there are for the UK and accordingly a great variation in pricing. However, for the majority of our customers there are only 3 or 4 types of domain ordered for our packages and these are all priced in the same amounts. For the purposes of these notes we are referring to: .com, .net, .org, info and .biz.
* Customers may apply by email, by website contact form or by telephone for the domains they require and a support operative will discuss and check the various options and costs and advise the customer accordingly the best options for their particular web package. Usually we receive these requests in conjunction with one or other of our services for which a domain is required, for example a custom website design/hosting package.
* We need to ensure that the information we receive, with regard to the domain registration, is accurate and that when published in the 'whois' it is not subject to misinterpretation. Therefore we expect customers to provide accurate Name, address, telephone, company and other details as requested. We will always register the domain in the name of the person or company we are provided unless you wish us to assume responsibility for this. In this event we will amend the details upon your further instruction or if the domain is transferred. Please note that if the registrar does not get a reply to any notifications to your email address the domain could be suspended. We are generally notified if this occurs and we will try ensure that a reply is forwarded to avoid this possibility.
* Pricing. We make special offer pricing from time to time based upon one year only registration periods although the customer may specify any period for registration from 1 to 10 years. The standard pricing model we employ for a 1 year registration is £0 where it is incorporated into a package and as advertised on these website pages, £7.50+vat for a standard initial or first time registration, £13.50+vat for a standard 1 year renewal unless it is incorporated into a package, when it may remain free of charge. For domain transfers to another registrar we charge £12+vat for administration; for transfers to us there is no charge. For special offers or longer periods or specialist domains we will discuss the appropriate charges in relation to the overall package required.
* Customer email requests to email@example.com, regarding their overall subscription management or their domain management are routinely responded to within 4 hours and usually faster Monday to Sunday 8am –10pm. Telephone support and requests are available Mon to Friday 10am –5pm at 01789 470642 . Changes to domain registrant details will be responded to within this time period but changing such details will take longer, following ICANN requirements for swapping such details. We may be obliged to forward to the registrar additional information on your behalf. If this is required then all such information will remain confidential and you will be advised of the likely timescale.
* Because we act as agents for the US registrars concerned, as indicated in our general terms and conditions, the registrant may wish to check more information about the registrant rights and educational materials on the ICANN website at:
http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/registrant-rights/ and also at:
http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/registrant-rights/educational for basic information.
* In the event of any complaint or dispute with regard to a domain name then in the first instance the customer should address an email or a written postal message to either firstname.lastname@example.org or to: The Director, MCL Communications, Hamford House, Walton, CO14 8EW and we will take this up for you
* Transfers to another registrar. In the event that a transfer is required we will effect this with 6 hours of receiving a request by email and the administration fee (£12+vat). It is not possible to transfer a domain during the expiration period and the domain will need to be renewed before this becomes possible. If for any reason we decide not to renew a domain, or a subscription then the customer will be advised accordingly before expiry and asked for details of an alternative provider so that a change can be affected. In this event there will be no charge.
* Expired domains. Unlike .uk domains there are different arrangements for recovering domains that have expired, sometimes running from 30 days to 200 days plus and depending largely on the resale price of the domain. In the first 40 days after expiry (Grace period) the registrant may renew the domain but no services will be provided after the first 3 days from expiry. After this period the domain is marked for deletion and placed in redemption period. During this period the domain may be auctioned or placed in the registrars portfolio or deleted 30-40 days after the redemption period.
Customers are strongly advised to renew at the standard rate before expiry. A recovery price is based upon the 'fair trade' price which is currently $200 but may cost more than this. We will try and minimise this cost as far as possible but we need a specific instance to be able to quote accurate figures in order to recover a domain placed in this situation.
Should you have any queries that lie outside these general guidelines then please contact us at 01789 470642 or email@example.com. In the event of any specific abuse of your registered domain please send further details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Domains These fall outside the scope of these notes and some of them are handled by registrars in Europe, Australia or the Far East. Should you require any specialist domain we can provide it and will give you a price for obtaining it and checking it. However, in this event you are advised to check other prices from other providers as there is a huge variation in pricing for these domains.
Please also see our general terms and conditions page.
We will be happy to answer any queries you have regarding our services, or questions you have about the web or the Internet. You can also request a copy of our information notes.
We will reply to all your queries or orders as quickly as possible, so please do not hesitate to contact us today!
28 Kineton Road
Wellesbourne, Warwick, CV35 9LQ